Friday, March 25, 2011

You Know What I Hate?: Internet Advertisements

I get it the internet is a vast untapped market for advertising. It's a bold exciting new frontier! It's annoying as shit. The point of advertising is to raise interest in your product. When your advertisement is impeding my ability to access a web page all it does is piss me off. This started with pop up windows. Some smart ass programmer thought that was a good idea to have a window get in your way whenever you went to a page. But some smarter one figured out a way to block pop up ads. That person deserves a medal in my book.

"Well crap!" the advertisers say, "What do we do now?". "Why make banners of course! They stay at the top of the page or on the side and don't bother anyone.". This was enough for years but then..."Banners aren't annoying enough." "Yeah lets have them make loud annoying noises!" "Yeah and they also should expand to fill the whole screen even if the person doesn't do anything so when they try to click on stuff they click the banner by mistake and end up going to our web page!" Then end up closing it and giving that company the metaphorical middle finger. Call me fickle but when that happens I put that company on my shit list. That stuff just gets on my nerves.

The best though is this new fad with ads on videos. I get it but when the video is less then a minute watching a 30 second ad beforehand is just pointless. My favorite though is when they put ads before trailers. I have to watch an ad before I get to watch another ad. What a paradox! Seriously someone wasn't thinking on that one. It's always some stupid car commercial too. Lately it's been this ad for Alienware computers. It has some nerd pretending he's in a game shooting things. It's always 50 decibels louder then the video you're trying to watch so it blows your ears out before you have a chance to mute the damn thing. What sucks is I love Alienware, I have one, but that's happened too many times for me to forgive!

You ever seen that survey crap? Even stuff as basic as news reporting websites have these now. News sites! I have to look at ads to check out the latest news. It's always a pop up that happens in the middle of the window and you have to X it out before you can see anything on the page. Half the time they put the X in some awkward spot so you end up clicking the ad anyway. Of course you're in a hurry to so the chances of you not clicking on it are slim.

I can't wait for the future. I mean what's next in advertising? I got one, how about digital glasses? Yeah you know people who wear glasses or sun glasses. You go outside and every time you walk past a billboard an ad starts playing really loud next to your face. There's no way to adjust the volume and on the lenses it flashes images that distract you. That way we can get run over or crash your car because seeing ads is so damn important. Or how about a toilet where before you can use it you gotta watch an ad? It has this metal lock on it that won't come up until the ad is over. Then when the lid comes up you see the guy before you pissed all over the seat, probably in protest, and your prospects to take a crap are put off further by having to sit through another ad.

That's the problem with ads. They're just a minor annoyance at first but anyone who spends extensive time watching online videos or even browsing will run into 4 or 5 of them every page they go to. Imagine you watch some short videos, like 5 for example, and each one has a 30 second ad. You just watched the same ad for 2 and half minutes. You're overall viewing time could be as low as 5 minutes so you spent half the time watching ads as you did videos. One of the major points of user made content is not watching 5 million ads. That's what TV is for damn it. It's bad enough they have ads in video games now what's next? They make you watch an ad before you can play? You know it's probably not far off.

So that's my little rant about ads. You know the major reason I stopped watching TV, and cable all together, is because of ads. If I want to watch shows I'll watch them on DVD, at least those ads I can skip, most of the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment